I gave a business talk last week to my local SERTOMA club on business conditions for the balance of 2023, and I thought I’d share it with you.
- There’s not going to be much of a recession (although we’re biased here in Arizona by the good economy), even given another 0.25% rate hike by the Fed.
- Interest rates are still historically low, but whether funds are available is a good question. I recently bought some shares in Western Alliance Bancorp, partially so I can get access to their thinking, and the stock was historically dirt cheap, because of the problems with Silicon Valley Bancorp. Local banks like WAB still do a lot of lending.
- Business conditions are pretty good, but not in the metro cities in blue states, because of theft and labor conditions.
- Now’s the time to tune up your web site and make sure it’s producing the leads you need. Talk to your webmaster and make sure you’re on Google Local Search.
- Now’s also the time to tune up your sales force and make sure leads don’t fall through the cracks.
- If you’re doing relationship selling, and we hope you are, make sure your sales reps have contacted all the customers that you haven’t heard from lately.
- Don’t pull back on your innovations, but check the estimates of share you might get, and make them a little more conservative. Heck, we’re restarting our online business school, www.businesssuccess.school, so we’re putting our money where our mouth is.
So, have all these in place by next week. 🙂